Friday, March 11, 2011

Tolkien Speaks in Defense of Fantasy



I thought this month I would highlight something from one of the greatest male authors of all time, J.R.R. Tolkien. I was introduced to this article by Michael R. Collings, a speculative fiction author with whom I shared a panel at Life, The Universe and Everything at BYU last month.  He talked about how Tolkien was sometimes for writing "just fantasy", hinting that his time might be better spent on loftier pursuits.  Here Tolkien defends what he does and explains why he feels like writing fantasy is a worthwhile pursuit.  

http://bjorn.kiev.ua/librae/Tolkien/Tolkien_On_Fairy_Stories.htm

So if you are ever faced with that comment, you'll know where to turn.   It is a long article, but I would recommend reading at least the heading titled:

Recovery, Escape, Consolation

-Michael Young

 

No comments:

Post a Comment